I attended my first FITC Toronto conference and made it out ALIVE! Three action-packed days of education and inspiration. I gained some new twitter followers, and even managed to fit in some hang-time with friends! Here’s a brief chronological run-down of the fun that was had!
- Registered for FITC
- Checked into the hostel (private room! I’m moving up in the world)
- Visited with Serah-Marie who fed me delicious food!
- Checked out the new WORN office
- Day 1 of FITC Toronto!
- 10:00am: Tony Ke – Steve Jobs Called My Work Shit, and Welcome to the Post-PC Era
- 11:45am: James White (Signalnoise)– Design Renegade "You gotta be out in the woods."
- Picked up a sweet “The Scientist" print from Signalnoise
- 1:50pm: Adobe Keynote Speech
- 3:05pm: Andreas Muller – The Business of Making Digital Art
- Dinner with Ted & Holly at an Ethiopian place! Ate with my hands and it was delicious
- Drinks with Ted & Holly at a bar called Three Speed
- FITC Opening Party at the Hoxton. Spoke to a bunch of strangers!
- Day 2 of FITC Toronto!
- Decided to sleep in – serendipitous that the talk I was planning on going to first thing in the morning was cancelled. I didn’t miss ANYTHING by pressing that snooze button!
- 11:45am: Riccardo Giraldi – Back To The Good Old Tangible World
- 12:25pm: Chris Sanders – Why Are You Schmoozing Me? Proper Self-Branding and Networking
- 12:45pm: Vincent Morriset – BLA BLA: Making a Film For Computers
- 2:15pm: Aaron Draplin – Tall Tales From a Large Man
- Shook Mr. Draplin’s hand (!) and got the coolest “Things We Love About Canada" poster
- 3:30pm: Kyle McDonald – How To Give Everything Away
- 4:45pm: Jared Ficklin – Object Oriented Electricity in a Social Setting
- Met Creative Niche and was able to thank them in person for sending me to FITC Toronto!
- FITC Awards show party at XS
- Coffee with Christopher Rouleau at Little Nicky’s! It was delightful!
- Day 3 of FITC Toronto!
- 10:50am: Jason Theodor – Create More, Better, Different. (Act. Connect. Deviate.)
- 12:25pm: I grabbed a *free* noontime beer and checked out James White – Signalnoise Poster Breakdown
- 1:00pm: Aaron Draplin – The DDC 20-Point Plan to Wreck Yer Life (more free noontime beer)
- 2:15pm: Jason Theodor, Aaron Draplin, Riccardo Giraldi & Ivan Poupyrev – The Secrets of Creation
- Ran back to my hostel to pick up my bags and cabbed it to the train station! Montreal-bound!
Yeah – it was a busy three days. My schedule didn’t even leave much room for sleeping, but holy cow was it FUN!
PS: I met a few people over the past couple of days who gave me a hug at our introduction. I guess this is the Toronto version of the Montreal double-cheek kiss? I love it!
PPS: Writing this blog post with free wifi on the VIA train! I feel so classy!